代名詞的格可分為主格、受格、所有格及所有格代名詞。主格的功用是當主詞，包括 I, we, you, he, she, it, they；受格是當動詞或介系詞的受詞。包括me, us, you, him, her, it, them；所有格當形容詞功用，後面接名詞，包括my, our, your, his, her, its, their；所有格代名詞等於所有格+名詞，包括mine, ours, his, hers, theirs.
1. Nobody except him can solve our problem. (him當介系詞except之受詞)
2. Tom took an apple to school；he ate it at lunch time. (it當動詞ate之受詞)
3. Mary and Bob have their books；in other words, Mary has hers, and Bob has his.
反身代名詞包括 myself, ourselves, yourself, yourselves, himself, herself, itself, themselves等，其要點如下：
1. They themselves did it = They did it themselves.
1. The old man was talking to himself. (等於The old man)
2. They disguised themselves so well that we could not recognize them. (themselves等於主詞 They，them 不等於主詞we)